First Congregational Church Highland, Illinois
Job Description – Worship Leader – 2022
The Worship Leader serves as an integral part of our Sunday service, utilizing their God-given abilities, learned skills, and personal spiritual development to help lead, model, and instruct the congregation into a posture of awe & dependence upon God Almighty.
- Proficiency in playing guitar and/or piano with the ability to sing while playing.
- Proficiency in long-range planning, personal time management, adaptability, and timely communication.
- Ability to speak, pray, and lead worship in front of a room of people.
- Ability to work with both chord charts and sheet music.
- Ability to lead & coordinate with a team of musicians, vocalists, and tech volunteers.
- Familiarity with (or willingness to learn) audio visual worship technology. (e.g. ProPresenter, Song Select, CCLI, etc.)
- A life committed to following Jesus Christ, coming to know Him better through God’s Word, and living that out in demonstrable ways in the life of the local church.
- A sense of calling to serve in this kind of ministry role & the ability to articulate it.
- Alignment with our statement of faith & agreement with our mission.
- A heart that desires to foster the spiritual formation of the congregation and worship team.
- Previous experience in leading worship, preferably in a local church setting.
- Willingness to listen, learn, grow, and teach others.
- Work closely with the pastor in coordinating weekly worship services.
- Attend weekly staff meetings.
- Plan musical elements for each Sunday’s service; considering recommendations/requests from the pastor and communicate them in a concise, easy-to-read service order.
- Email all involved parties the order of service on a weekly basis, no later than 1:00 PM Tuesday afternoon.
- Rehearse praise songs and hymns over the course of the week, ensuring arrangements and keys are all suitable for congregational singing.
- Prepare and plan special services (e.g., Christmas, Easter) over the course of the year, with the pastor.
- Organize and lead quarterly/biannual meetings of the Worship Committee.
The Worship Leader should notify the Pastor and the Worship Elder regarding any absence on Sunday morning
The Worship Leader serves as a member of the Worship Committee and is expected to attend committee meetings. The Worship Leader recommends equipment and supplies for the worship ministry of FCC and submits, in September, a request for whatever supplies may be needed for the coming year for inclusion in the worship budget. The overall supervision as an employee of the church is provided by the Board of Elders. Written updates are provided to the Board of Elders throughout the year from whom the staff member reports along with any concern the staff member may have. The staff member along with whom they report will attend an annual review that will be led by an appointed Elder or designee.
First Congregational Church of Highland, Illinois is a multigenerational historic church in the Reformed tradition, preparing to celebrate our 175th anniversary in 2023. Our denomination, the Conservative Congregational Christian Conference (CCCC), traces its foundation to the Pilgrims landing at Plymouth Rock in 1620. Our beautiful sanctuary is constructed in the style of a European cathedral and prominently features stained glass windows and a pipe organ.
Apart from the sheer grace of God, the secret to our congregation’s longevity has been our ability to both embrace our rich history and look ahead to an even brighter future. We have the incredible privilege of proclaiming God’s unchanging gospel message to a constantly changing world that needs desperately to hear it. In that vein, our music ministry plays a significant role in creating a worship environment which blends the ancient & modern together in a way that enhances, rather than distracts from, the glory of God in all things.
If that sounds like a challenge you are up for, we encourage you to look over the job description and apply. Obviously, competency and skill will be taken into consideration, but as much as anything, we are looking for someone who is willing to partner alongside us and invest in what God is doing here in rural Illinois.
Highland, IL is a charming small town located 30 miles east of St. Louis. It offers a safe and neighborly community with above average schools and public works. With an excellent blend of national chains and local small businesses, there isn’t much you might need that you can’t get here in town, while still being within a half-hour drive of practically anything else you could possibly want. It’s a great place to raise a family, and an even better place to put down roots.
How To Apply
To apply, please email your cover letter & resume to [email protected].