Youth Ministry Pastor/Director
This person will be an energizing champion for the presence and growth of middle and high school students in the body of Christ both at RAC and in our neighborhood. We are looking for a Youth Director or Pastor to help serve the young people of our church through connecting with youth grades 6-12, facilitating youth small groups, cultivating a deeper connection between youth and the larger church body. Our Youth Director/Pastor will build strategic relationships with local schools and organizations to reach youth and their families in our community. This role is responsible for cultivting young people’s faith and partnering with parents to encourage faith for a lifetime. This role is open both to individuals who have a discerned calling towards pastoral ministry (Youth Pastor) as well as to those who do not (Youth Director).
Pastoral (Student Ministry):
- Oversee all aspects of ministry to youth grades 6-12.
- In conjunction with senior leadership, cast a compelling vision for ministry to students and families.
- Create a Sunday morning youth gathering during morning worship and facilitate periodic participation in adult worship service (ex. Kids Up Sunday, youth participating in musical worship with adult service).
- Host an additional all-youth meeting weekly, mid-week small groups as needed.
- Organize and participate in regular fellowship opportunities for the entire youth group.
- Reach out to families of youth and provide tools/strategies for discipling youth at home.
- Provide regularly scheduled opportunities for parents to meet together for youth ministry updates.
- Organize camps/retreats for youth at least once per year, and regular service projects.
- Support mid-week small group leaders by providing curriculum, training, and spiritual encouragement, as well as recruiting new leaders, determining need for new groups, and helping youth plug into existing groups.
- Create opportunities for youth to connect with each other through mid-week youth ministry (including small groups) and to connect with the larger church body.
- Build strategic relationships with local schools and organizations to reach youth and their families in our community.
- Recruit, train, and disciple youth to engage in outreach opportunities in the local community.
- Work collaboratively with the Justice & Spirituality Ministries Director on outreach ministry initiatives as appropriate.
- Participate as a staff person of Rainier Avenue including weekly planning meetings and all-staff events throughout the year.
- Oversee budget, facilities and equipment used by youth ministries.
- Maintain compliance with RAC’s Abuse Prevention Policy for youth volunteers.
- Record, track and update all necessary information (attendance, demographic data, etc.) in Church Community Builder, the church’s database.
- Ensure that the youth room is prepared for youth ministry programming and/or events and respect building use guidelines.
- For ordained pastors other responsibilities will include providing pastoral care for congregation members, preaching 1-2 times per year, etc. as needed.
- Lives a vibrant Christian faith both publicly and privately, committed to seeking and modeling wholeness in Jesus.
- Discerned calling towards youth ministry and a love for the local church.
- Experience working cross-culturally and a commitment to diversity and racial reconciliation as a biblical value.
- Experience in teaching youth about justice and reconciliation.
- Professional experience working with youth (grades 6-12), as well as with parents or caregivers of youth. Experience in youth ministry or in a comparable educational setting is preferred.
- Experience in training and encouraging lay leaders who work with youth.
- Passion for and demonstrated experience in reaching out to local neighborhoods.
- A holistic understanding of youth and connecting them to the larger Church body.
- Gifts of leadership and administration, good spoken & written communication, computer literacy.
- Demonstrated familiarity with online communication and an ability to make significant virtual connections with youth and families.
- Ability to develop, monitor, and spend budget responsibly.
- Takes direction well from senior leadership, collaborates with others to accomplish goals, and maintains confidences.
- Understanding of Wesleyan theology and willingness to engage in Free Methodist life (ordination in Free Methodist Church preferred if applying for Youth Pastor role, or commitment to pursue ordination within two years of start date).
- Bachelor\’s Degree or commensurate experience required, graduate degree in Theology or Pastoral Work, youth ministry or other related fields desired.
- Reports to the Senior Pastor for vision/direction and Executive Administrator for logistical support and oversight.
- Works collaboratively with Family Life Pastor and Children’s Ministry Staff on Family ministry opportunities.
- Works in collaboration with church staff to further the overall vision of the church.
- Serves as the leader of the Youth ministry (6th-12th grade), and directly supervises youth volunteers and small group leaders.
- Must work Sunday mornings 8am-1pm, Wednesdays 10:30am-1pm for staff meeting, evenings and weekends as needed for youth group and church events.
- Must pass a background check.
- Knowledge or willingness to develop a competency in Microsoft Excel, Word, Google apps, Church Community Builder, Planning Center and use of email needed for coordinating projects and budgets.
- Regular attendance at Sunday worship and active participation in the life of the church is assumed.
How To Apply
Please click this link to apply: https://bit.ly/3y3iDdq, or let us know any questions at [email protected].