Assistant Pastor (Full-time / 40+ hours per week)
First Presbyterian Church, Opelika (FPO) thrives as it embodies its mission: to multiply & grow disciples of Jesus through Gospel-centered Worship, Gospel-saturated Community, Gospel-shaped Service, & Gospel-motivated Mission. The Assistant Pastor will carry out the following responsibilities as a shepherd leader of FPO while supporting the Senior Pastor, and relationally implementing FPO’s vision and core values.
Accountability Reports to Senior Pastor & FPO Session.
- Spiritual Formation & Community Life.
- Lead in planning, implementing, overseeing, and evaluating a comprehensive program of Spiritual Formation/Christian education for all generations of the FPO family (along with the Pastor of Youth & FPO kids Director).
- Plan, cultivate, and evaluate the organizational structure for formation/education and community life. Examples include Connect Hour, Community Groups, Teacher Leadership Training, etc.
- Lead in the selection, training, and coordination of lay leaders for teaching ministry to adults as well as Community Groups leaders at FPO.
- Prepare and promote content and materials to equip and inform the FPO family in the areas of spiritual formation/education and community life within the FPO family.
- Provide staff oversight and serve as a resource to the Men’s & Women’s ministry teams.
Service & Mission
- Provide vision and leadership for developing a culture of gospel-shaped service within the family of FPO.
- Lead collective envisioning, development, and implementation of an outreach ministry plan for the purpose of equipping and leading the FPO family in gospel-motivated mission.
- Connect members with opportunities to serve within the community of FPO and in the community at large.
Pastoral Care & Leadership
- Assist in identifying and welcoming visitors, as well as equipping other members of FPO to do the same.
- Assist in assimilating new members into the community life of FPO.
- Enjoys preaching and teaching the Word of God (primarily through expository preaching) and administering the Sacraments (the Lord’s Supper & Baptism) as needed.
- Regularly lead congregation in worship (non-musical components of worship service) as assigned by the Senior Pastor.
- Officiate at special services such as weddings, funerals, etc. as needed.
- Assist in the shepherding & visitation ministry of the FPO Elders.
- Pursues continuing education for personal spiritual growth as well as growth in ministry leadership.
- Regularly participate as a member of the Central South Presbytery and General Assembly of the EPC.
- Perform other pastoral duties as assigned by the Senior Pastor.
- Must have a saving knowledge of the Lord Jesus and seek to cultivate a growing relationship with Him.
- Must be male and ordained (or ordainable/seeking ordination) as a Teaching Elder by the EPC as established in the EPC Book of Government.
- Must maintain a healthy relationship with God that exemplifies a disciplined plan of personal & family worship to include prayer, Bible study and financial giving.
- Must be committed to loving and caring for his family.
- Must be actively involved in the life of the church.
- Must have strong communication skills and ability to interact with a multi-generational church family.
- Must have high personal credibility, with a strong set of values consistent with FPO’s church culture, and commitment to maintain appropriate confidentiality.
- Must have a Christ-like attitude and professional demeanor with a sincere desire to help others and to lead and serve on a team.
- Demonstrated administrative skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to missions and outreach, advancing the gospel to unreached groups.
- Experience developing, coordinating, or leading Christian education and spiritual formation programs.
How To Apply
To apply, send EPC PIF form, resume (with references), and cover letter to our Search Team at [email protected]