Position title: Associate Pastor of Next Gen
Position status: Full-time permanent
Ministries: Next Generation Ministry
Reports to: Next Generation Ministry Charge Pastor
Direct reports: none
Posting Date: May 24, 2023
Application deadline: Until position filled
SCBC the Church
Scarborough Chinese Baptist Church (SCBC) is a trilingual (English, Cantonese and Mandarin) multigenerational church with about 1,800 members. We are strategically located in Scarborough, Greater Toronto Area, which is one of the most dynamic and multicultural areas in North America. We strive to serve the local community and beyond seeking to be a blessing to all peoples.
SCBC is committed to making the church relevant and engaging for the younger generation. For this goal/vision, we need a pastor with a passion to reach the next generation for Jesus! He/she is first a minister for the young (children and youth) and secondly for the parents of these young people because they are in the greatest position to influence the young.
The Pastor of Next Gen will help our younger generation come to KNOW Jesus, GROW in their relationship with Him, and GO out into the world to make a difference. With an emphasis on providing leadership in spiritual growth, team building, and outreach, the Pastor of Next Gen will help us build our intergenerational church, reach out to draw families into the body and/or community of our church family, and ensure that we are all working together to make disciples of the younger generation.
The leader we seek will work in collaboration with the pastoral team, deacons, and lay leaders in a team approach to holistically minister and support the discipleship of our younger generation. He/she will be equipped with space and resources to make a significant Kingdom impact. This position reports to the Charge Pastor of Next Gen Ministry.
- Assist in the development and implementation of a clear vision to promote spiritual growth in the next generations to know Jesus, grow in their relationship with Him, and go out into the world to make a difference.
- Partner with Children, Youth and Young Adult Ministry leadership for synergy in vision and strategy, in particular the transitioning ministry within each age group.
- Work collaboratively with the Next Gen Pastoral team to provide pastoral care to children/youth and families.
- Assist in the preparation of engaging content and ensure excellent experience for weekly youth programs (Friday nights Youth Group and Sunday mornings huddles).
- Maintain a strategy for reaching and connecting new Next Gen and families into our church community.
- Develop strong authentic relationships with the parents and families with Next Gen age children/youth and assist in the implementation of family discipleship (parenting) plan.
- Develop opportunities/events that are for families and Next Gen to connect, grow, and serve together. Make these events innovative and interesting to allow invitations at-large to our community.
- Recruit, screen, train, retain and supervise a team of energetic and enthusiastic volunteer servants.
- Explore the application of emerging technologies that help engage more Next Gen and volunteers in the ministry of the church.
- Develop and maintain an online presence via social media platforms to maintain communication with students, parents, the congregation, and community with information regarding youth ministry events and programming. Collaborate with Communications Team(s) where necessary.
- Assist with enforcement of safety and Plan-to-Protect guidelines, volunteer background check organization and administration.
General Pastoral Responsibilities
- Participate in general pastoral duties such as preaching, visitation, pastoral counselling and other leadership roles as assigned by the Next Gen Ministry Charge Pastor.
- Co-work with the Outreach Pastor and the ministry team to provide leadership in reaching out to the community.
- Provide clear communication with regards to ministry progress, results, and obstacles to the Next Gen Ministry Pastoral Team (NGPT).
- Assist in the development of annual budgets for his/her areas of responsibility with the input of his/her ministry team(s).
- Collaborate and work closely with current lay leaders in building up a Christ-centered, Scriptural-based church community of vibrant faith, hope and love.
- Join the current SCBC pastoral staff in serving a multi-lingual, multi-cultural and multi-generational evangelical church of 1,500+ regular Sunday attendance.
Capabilities and Characteristics
- Mature faith in Jesus Christ, godly character, a strong commitment and calling to serve the local church (1 Timothy 3:1-7, Titus 1:6-9, 1 Peter 5:1-4).
- An authentic and proven passion for making disciples and reaching the next generation.
- Can clearly teach and illustrate Biblical concepts focusing on reaching those who are not Christians and discipling those who are in Christ.
- Ability to think strategically and involve others in all levels of the disciple-making process.
- Ability to implement a strategic vision with creative out of the box ideas.
- Team player with strong servant-leadership and communication skills within a large multi-generation congregational context.
- Energetic, resourceful and innovative in ministry as well as leadership development.
- Strong relational skills and compassionate understanding of personal issues – ability to communicate effectively with Next Gen and families.
- Strong administrative and organizational skills.
- High capacity with the ability to adapt and problem-solve.
- Good understanding of the challenges and opportunities in a digital world and familiar with the use of social media platforms for communication purposes is an asset.
- Willingness to get to know and do life together with leaders, always seeking to keep short accounts, care for, encourage, respect, encourage, and love each other.
- Be a self-starter with drive and passion, and a continual learner.
- Assent to the Statement of Faith, purpose and mission of SCBC and to comply with Baptist faith and practices.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in a church or para-church ministry. Experience in Children, Youth, and/or College Ministry an asset.
- A Master Degree of Divinity (M Div.) or its equivalent in theological education from an Association of Theological Schools (ATS) accredited institution.
- Proficient in English (written and orally). Spoken Cantonese/Mandarin an asset.
- Ability to pass a background check.
How To Apply
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume detailing how you meet the job requirements as soon as possible to [email protected] or by mail to:
Search Committee for Pastor of Next Gen
Scarborough Chinese Baptist Church
3223 Kennedy Road
Please quote “Pastor of Next Gen” in the subject line.
As pastors of SCBC need to have frequent contacts with the congregants and others in the community, all applicants must declare their COVID vaccination status in their application cover letters—whether they have been fully or partially vaccinated. If offered conditional employment with SCBC, all candidates must provide proof of their COVID full vaccination before the employment start date. If candidates request COVID vaccination accommodation based on medical or other valid reasons, such requests will be considered by the Search Committee.
SCBC is committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes and work environments. If contacted by a Pastoral Search Committee member in relation to an employment opportunity, please make your accommodation request, if necessary, at that time. We will take accommodation measures to provide you with a barrier-free selection process. All accommodation requests will be treated confidentially.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.