Children and Youth Ministries Coordinator
Coordinate the delivery of church-sponsored educational ministries for children and youth through grade 12 with the assistance of church volunteers, and the possibility of a paid nursery worker, and with the support of the Senior Pastor and the church’s lay leadership and committees. Plan and staff programs so that they are ready to be implemented when children and youth are present, particularly on Sunday mornings. Support a welcoming and inclusive approach to all families with an initial focus on young children. Report to and be supervised by the Senior Pastor and be evaluated by the Senior Pastor and the Staff-Parish Relations Committee (SPRC).
About Old South United Methodist Church (Old South, or The Church)
Old South, in Reading MA, is a progressive and very long-standing congregation within the New England Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church. United Methodism is a Protestant Christian denomination. We are a Reconciling Congregation, meaning we are welcoming and affirming LGBTQIA+ people. Old South’s mission statement is that “As disciples of Jesus Christ we welcome all, experience God, transform lives and act justly.” Our church is home to the Reading Food Pantry and the Christian Cooperative Preschool.
Schedule, Hours, and Compensation
This is an approximately quarter-time position (8-13 hours a week, depending on the season). Work on-site Sunday mornings is foreseen as 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 m. September through June, and 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. July through August. It is envisioned that 8-10 hours per week September through June will be needed for planning and prep, with much less in the summer months. Planning and prep are hybrid work. This is an exempt-level job and at-will employment.
This position as written is a quarter-time position with the only time required on-site at the church being Sunday mornings. However, should the right candidate be seeking additional hours of employment and willing to support more on-site office admin duties, we would consider expanding this role to half-time (20 hours).
- Deliver weekly children’s message during the Sunday morning worship service.
- Coordinate the message as appropriate with the week’s Bible readings, the Sunday School curriculum, or the church’s current needs during Sunday worship, in collaboration with the Senior Pastor.
- Facilitate and lead curriculum-based programs on Sunday mornings for preschool, elementary school, middle school, and high school age youth.
- Coordinate and support volunteer Sunday School teachers by providing planned activities and curriculum, and assistance and oversight during sessions.
- Schedule volunteer and paid coverage of nursery care before, during and after Sunday morning worship services and occasionally for meetings and special events on other days and at other times. Working the nursery may be needed from time to time.
- Greet and get to know children and their caregivers before and after Sunday services and Sunday School in order to foster communication, and a growing interest on the part of children and families in church programs, and further involvement in the life of Old South. Follow up with new families.
- Provide a brief update on upcoming Children’s/ Youth programming for our weekly Old South newsletter.
- Facilitate and encourage the work of church member volunteers in presenting youth and teen programs and activities.
- Select Sunday School curricula that meet the needs of our congregation, and which complement progressive United Methodist theology.
- Confer with the Senior Pastor for approval each year prior to September 1.
- Ensure that all volunteers and paid individuals who will have contact with children and youth in the church’s programs are currently and acceptably CORIed.
- Advise the Senior Pastor of the outcome of all CORI checks and bring any checks which return results to the Senior Pastor and SPRC chair for review.
- Ensure compliance with the UMC Safe Sanctuaries Policies and Guidelines.
- Take the lead in maintaining the organization of the shared office for your use and the use of volunteers.
- Verifiable experience working with groups of children and youth in an educational program or camp setting.
- Sunday School or religious education teaching experience is preferable.
- Program and lesson planning experience.
- Supervised W-2 work experience of at least a cumulative 12 months.
The Required Experience listed above, and:
- Familiarity with the Bible.
- Fluency in spoken and written English.
- Ability and willingness to earnestly plan/teach lessons based on the Bible, Jesus Christ, United Methodist theology, and Old South’s stated mission.
- Ability and willingness to engage and connect with children and youth of all ages.
- Ability and willingness to engage others in conversation and facilitate collaborative work.
- Ability to work on-site on Sunday mornings, occasional other weekend or weekday hours as coordinated with the Senior Pastor.
- Acceptable CORI, I-9 and references.
- High school diploma or GED.
Movement throughout the church building, including the use of a lift and stairs; lifting, carrying and reaching of supplies and materials of reasonable weights; engage in conversations and read a wide variety of materials. Local travel may be involved with outings and service projects. Reasonable accommodations will be made for the incumbent.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Old South hires and employs people without regard to prohibited bases and values diversity.
How To Apply
Email [email protected] with the header “Attn: SPRC: Job Application”
Attach your resume.