The Director of Children and Youth Ministries (DCYM), working with the Senior Pastor, provides the vision, structure and coordination to develop and execute a holistic program of faith formation and spiritual development for the children and youth at Carter Memorial UMC.
The DCYM collaborates with the Senior Pastor and Children and Youth Ministry Team to identify needs, develop curriculum, and guide their implementation, including empowering laity involvement. This is a part-time position (20 hours week) with some benefits.
- Create a welcoming, enthusiastic and meaningful environment for children and youth to grow in their faith formation and spiritual development.
- Conduct an annual educational needs assessment to identify interest areas and opportunities for faith formation and spiritual growth.
- Implement a comprehensive curriculum and associated age-appropriate learning goals that address the identified needs and interests.
- Recruit teachers from the congregation and foster a culture of shared responsibility and community o Oversee children and youth Sunday school program.
- Deliver a weekly children’s message in worship.
- Guide the structuring and planning of children and youth special events, including, but not limited to: Christmas Pageant, Vacation Bible School, Confirmation, Youth Retreat, Youth mission trip, Outings and Activities.
- Develop and lead regular youth programing.
- Communicate and update children and youth ministries through the church newsletter, weekly emails, personal notes to volunteers, parents and students, or other communication vehicles.
- Develop and manage the annual budget for children and youth programs, following church financial policies o Supervise a part-time Church Nursery Worker.
- A sincere faith in God and a commitment to Christian faith and service, including knowledge of scripture and an understanding of the Bible’s great themes.
- Formal training in Christian Education, or equivalent experience with Christian Education and faith development.
- Flexibility to work with the diversity of theological understandings and faith backgrounds within the Carter Memorial UMC congregation.
- Passionate about inspiring children and youth in the faith development and growth.
- Strong organizational, leadership, and interpersonal skills – including delegation and group facilitation.
- Basic writing, public communication and computer skills.
Must read and agree to the Safe Sanctuary policy as adopted by the church. This includes agreeing to a CORI background check. In addition, the candidate, like other church employees, must be fully vaccinated against Covid-19 and adhere to any subsequent state mandated vaccine requirements
Salary and Benefits: Starting salary: $20,000 – $25,000 per year based on education/experience Benefits include: Work-related mileage at the IRS allowed rate Two weeks of paid vacation except for Christmas, Holy week, and Easter
How To Apply
Email resume to Danielle LoPiccolo, Chair of SPRC at [email protected]. Please include “Carter Memorial DCYM” in the subject line.