About City of Refuge EPC
City of Refuge is a multicultural Christian community serving in Houston near the Medical Center, Third Ward, and South Union neighborhoods. Our mission is to “Call and equip a diverse community of Christ-followers to make Him known.” We are a part of the Evangelical Presbyterian Church (EPC) in the Gulf South Presbytery.
Summary of Position:
The Family Ministry Director will oversee all aspects of family ministry. This will include overseeing the youth and children’s ministry as well as developing our church’s support for marriages and parents. This role will also include a significant amount of outreach to our community seeking to engage families from our neighborhood with the gospel of Jesus Christ. As our church’s focus is on “equipping the saints for the work of ministry (Eph 4:12)”, there is an expectation the Family Ministry Director will pursue these objectives by recruiting, developing, and sending members of COR into places of family ministry.
Expectation of Position:
- Maintain a work week of at least 40 hours, 5 hours of which is Sunday morning; monitor working hours to ensure maintenance of a healthy and God-honoring work/life balance.
- Oversee Youth and Children’s ministry including:
- Recruiting, training, and developing new teachers and volunteers.
- Supporting and developing our existing teachers and volunteers in ministry effectiveness and spiritual maturity.
- Ensuring the safety of the children through implementation of policies and procedures that follow best practices for children and volunteers.
- Developing youth and children’s programming to ensure strong discipleship of youth and children.
- Developing a leadership team of volunteers to assist in oversight of the youth and children’s ministry.
- Develop programming to support godly parenting and marriage.
- Develop and implement a strategy to engage families from all parts of COR’s neighborhood with the gospel and integrate them into the COR community. This strategy may include working with and partnering with local para-church ministries.
- As a staff member of City of Refuge there may be other responsibilities and task assigned by the Lead Pastor based on the needs of the church.
- Base salary commensurate with experience and qualifications plus retirement (2.5% employer contribution), medical, dental and vision.
- Vacation and Leave (Medical and Personal) consistent with City of Refuge Policy as well as reimbursement of phone and business mileage expenses.
- Committed Christian dedicated to serving in the Body of Christ.
- Bible School or Seminary training preferred but not required.
Minimum Skills and Experience
- Working knowledge of the Bible with demonstrated lifestyle consistent with its teachings.
- 5+ years of ministry/service in a multicultural church, parachurch, or education context working with families, children, and youth.
- Basic understanding of spiritual development at different ages of life including children’s developmental progression.
- Ability to teach Bible-centered lessons to both children and adults.
- Strong interpersonal skills; must exhibit a polished and professional demeanor.
- Strong administrative and organizational skills
- History of working effectively with a diverse group of people
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft office and other basic computer skills
- Must be able to affirm the EPC essentials of the faith without exception and affirm the Westminster Confession of Faith with minimal exceptions. The doctrines of the EPC can be found at https://epc.org/about/beliefs/
- Computer, copier, audio/visual equipment, and other office technology
- 12-15 passenger van (license and good driving record required)
- Reliable transportation
- Ordination within the EPC is a possibility with this position but is not required.
How To Apply
Email your resume and cover letter to [email protected].