Bethel Grove Bible Church (BG) is a non-denominational, evangelical church located in Ithaca, NY, which is in the heart of the scenic Finger Lakes region. From a ministry perspective, opportunities are immense for having an impact both locally and globally. As a college town, Ithaca is the home of Cornell University and Ithaca College, with about 30,000 students representing more than 100 countries. The multigenerational church family consists of individuals from diverse cultures, ethnicities, and varied vocations in the community. The congregation includes many young families and global missionaries, as well as faculty, staff, and students from the local colleges. The children and youth are a vibrant part of the church family. BG was founded in 1863 as “The Bethel Grove Sunday School” with 45 members and in 1957 became “Bethel Grove Bible Church” with a dedicatory service. BG’s current mission is to work with God to help people discover Jesus, grow in their faith, walk in His purposes, and make an eternal impact in the world.
Lead Pastor Profile
BG is seeking a passionate leader who conveys a contagious enthusiasm for ministry that others will follow. BG is in the process of an intentional interim ministry that has allowed it to formulate a clear picture of its core values, mission, and vision for the next three years. BG is looking for a lead pastor who can empower current and emerging leaders in achieving the church’s objectives and vision. BG is praying for an experienced evangelical leader who has proven that he can faithfully preach God’s Word with relevance as well as possess the sensitivity necessary to lovingly impact the diverse Ithaca community with the truth of the Gospel.
We are searching for a man who embraces the church’s vision and who will develop a ministry around both our goals and his gifts and vision. He will fulfill the duties of a pastor as described in Ephesians 4:11-13, Acts 20: 28-35, I Peter 5:1-3, I Timothy 5:17, and James 5:14. The lead pastor will:
Foster Church Growth
- Devote extensive time to prayer and personal Bible study to enhance his personal spiritual growth and effectiveness in ministerial tasks.
- Exhort the congregation to incorporate scriptural teaching and prayer in their daily lives.
- Encourage and equip the congregation to grow in spiritual maturity.
- Foster participation of all believers in the ministries of the church and the growth of Christ’s kingdom, according to their calling, passion, and giftedness.
- Provide a pulpit ministry that expounds the complete Scriptures of God through doctrinally sound, expository, grace-oriented, and life-application preaching and teaching.
- The pulpit ministry should also include the presentation of evangelistic messages, even if brief, that clearly explain to non-Christians their need for salvation and how one becomes a Christian.
- Promote an environment where people from ethnically and racially diverse backgrounds are welcomed, highly valued, celebrated, encouraged to contribute to the life of the church, and can feel well-connected to each other as a church family.
- Administer the ordinances of baptism and communion.
Provide Leadership and Administration
- Provide vision and leadership for the church as it seeks to carry out its mission and ministry goals.
- Supervise the one full-time staff member and the four part-time ministry coordinators and manage their functions.
- Meet regularly and foster teamwork with the staff and lay leaders for planning program development and evaluation.
- Collaborate with lay leaders to build a leadership team actively seeking to deepen their spiritual walks and to serve Christ by serving His people.
- Support a strategy for expanding the small group ministry.
- Perform duties as set forth in the church constitution and when appropriate, delegate responsibilities to various lay leaders and the church staff.
- Ensure that prospective members of the church are instructed in the Articles of Faith as set forth in the church constitution.
Provide Pastoral Care and Outreach
- Be available for pastoral care of members and friends of the church.
- Actively engage other evangelical churches and leaders to serve Christ’s purposes through prayer, cooperative ministry, unity, and fellowship.
The lead pastor will meet the qualifications of a pastor (including equivalent biblical offices) described in I Timothy 3:1-7 and Titus 1:5-9.
- Character: Demonstrate biblical faithfulness with a high degree of personal spiritual maturity and reflect the character of Christ in both his private and public lives.
- Leadership: A servant-leader who identifies, trains, and directs leaders, empowering others to pursue God’s giftedness.
- Preaching: Able to communicate to people of any age or background the meaning and insight from Scripture in a way that connects with the audience and effectively leads to learning, understanding, and application.
- Ministry: Must have experience in dealing with intergenerational ministries and be approachable and able to maintain confidences.
- Missions: Demonstrates a heart for global missions and the international students drawn to local colleges who worship at BG.
- Education: Must have a Master of Divinity Degree or equivalent from an accredited seminary and have a minimum of 5 years of experience in full-time pastoral ministry and church leadership.
How To Apply
Please send cover letter, resume, and statement of faith with personal testimony to [email protected]. Please be prepared to send four references and links to audios/videos of sermons upon request.