Community Church Roselawn
Denomination: Christian Reformed Church
Weekly Attendance: 350
Location: Roselawn, IN
The Role: Lead Pastor
Worship, Meet Community Church Roselawn:
Community Church Roselawn is a place where the message of salvation becomes visible. We approach the Gospel with a contemporary style, yet our message is traditional. A core of families from the original church planters has grown to include traditional believers drawn to the excitement for outreach. This group welcomes the unchurched and the disenfranchised who in turn gather their friends and families.
Working out our vision of “Lives transformed by Christ” is displayed in numerous ways. From our inception, Community Church Roselawn has desired to have an impact on the community in which it is centered. Our focus is bringing the unchurched into contact with believers. When these people come through the doors of our building, they receive the Gospel message demonstrated by the love of our congregation and presented in the preaching of God’s Word. We continue to grow in numbers and opportunities to be the hands and feet of Christ to our community.
Community Church Roselawn takes seriously its responsibility toward believers. We provide many opportunities for service, community, education, and growth as we walk the path of becoming more Christ-like while God uses our various gifts seriously.
Community Church takes its mission statement, “Developing authentic relationships with Jesus Christ,” to heart. Everything that we do is tailored to be shared with a community hungry for Truth and needing to learn how God is a real part of their daily lives. We give thanks for the work of the Holy Spirit that allows us to bring His message to those He has brought to us.
About the Lead Pastor:
Under the general direction of the council and express direction of the elders, the lead pastor provides spiritual and organizational leadership. The lead pastor serves as teacher and vision leader for the congregation as we seek to fulfill our mission of “Developing authentic relationships with Jesus Christ.” The lead pastor serves as head of the staff, building a strong leadership team, and holds a central position on the board of elders.
Service, The Lead Pastor’s Responsibilities Include:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Preaching and Teaching
- Studies the Word and engages in prayer on behalf of God’s people.
- Is the primary teaching voice in Sunday worship services.
- Inspires a passionate Christ-following within the congregation.
- Leads a comprehensive plan for discipleship in the congregation.
- Vision and Strategic Leadership
- With the Council, develops, promotes, and protects Community’s vision and sees that it becomes a reality.
- Serves as coordinator and communicator to cast approved vision, and effectively rally the congregation around said vision.
- Continuously inspires movement towards Community’s approved vision to ensure its contemporary relevance.
- Pastoral Care
- Partners with the council to ensure pastoral care for hospital visitation, emergency pastoral needs, premarital counseling, weddings, funerals, etc.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Staff Supervision and Administration
- Serves as head of staff, meets with staff individually, and coordinates weekly staff meetings.
- Builds a strong leadership team of both employed staff and volunteers.
- Provides accountability through performance reviews and addressing performance gaps.
- Stays abreast of leadership learning through reading, conferences, and peer conversations.
- Helps facilitate the larger work of the full leadership team (elders, deacons, volunteers, and staff).
- Missional Leadership
- Inspires and models a deep commitment to reach and serve the greater Roselawn community and Newton County so many will come to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ.
- Champions local and regional ministry partnerships.
- Denominational and Community Connector
- Stays connected with Christian ministries and community agencies within and outside of CCRC as part of a broader impact in the Church of Jesus Christ.
- Performs other duties as required or assigned which are reasonably within the scope of the duties enumerated above.
- Supervisory Responsibilities
- This position serves as head of full-time and part-time staff.
Youth What You Bring:
The following describes many of the characteristics of the ideal candidate for the Lead Pastor:
- Education & Experience
- Four-year degree preferably from a Christian college.
- Completion of a seminary program officially recognized by the Christian Reformed Church.
- Documented continuing education, preferred.
- An internship at a reformed church, preferred.
- Experience in a community outreach-oriented church.
- Experience in restoring those who have drifted away back into a relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Experience in introducing those who are searching and hurting to Jesus Christ.
- Experience in maintaining an appropriate balance of community outreach and the nurture and discipleship of Community Church attendees as they continue their spiritual growth.
- Fulfillment of the synodical regulations required of ordained pastors seeking a call to a Christian Reformed Church.
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Willingness, ability and desire to work with people from a variety of social, educational and financial backgrounds.
- Practiced oratory skills and pulpit mannerisms preaching the Word.
- Ability to vision-cast.
- Developmental and organizational skills to assist in bringing our church ministries to an even greater level of success than they already enjoy.
- Commanding knowledge of the Bible.
- Ability to communicate his faith to others.
- Ability to give wise counsel and/or seek wise counsel when appropriate.
- Personal Characteristics & Qualifications
- Very strong personal relationship with Jesus Christ that cannot be contained.
- Passion for the gospel that drives every portion of life and work.
- Love for people and a desire to bring them to an ever stronger relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Eagerness to bring that gospel to all in our community.
- Belief that all preaching must be founded on God’s Holy Word.
- The belief that the Bible as the Word of God is first in priority and authority.
- Acknowledgement that salvation is through God’s never-ending grace.
- Readiness and willingness to extend God’s invitation to salvation whenever appropriate.
- Belief that the reformed confessions are accepted as the true interpretation of this Word.
- Belief that the confessions are themselves subject to the Word.
- Belief that the Heidelberg Catechism, Belgic Confession, and Canons of Dordt are foundational to our Reformed faith; Subscription to all the creeds and confessions of the CRC.
- Eager to reach out to the hurting and show compassion to those who reach out to him.
- Commitment to the vibrant worship style that is characteristic to Community Church.
- Willingness to follow the style of church governance as determined by the church Council, bylaws, and Christian Reformed Church Order.
- Willingness to be part of a staff that pursues the mission of Community Church Roselawn as laid out by the Church Council.
- Commitment to taking his direction from the Council of Community Church Roselawn.
- Desire to be part of the greater church community in the area.
- A kind and approachable personality.
Gathering, what it’s Like to Live in Roselawn, IN:
Roselawn, Indiana is a tranquil rural town with a close-knit community of approximately 4,000 residents. Set against the backdrop of vast agricultural fields, Roselawn offers the perfect blend of small-town charm and proximity to urban opportunities, just an hour south of the bustling city of Chicago. Community Church is nestled into a residential neighborhood including a local elementary school. The church draws in families from nearby towns within a 20-mile radius. Church members come from many nearby towns including Demotte, Wheatfield, Lowell, Fair Oaks, Lake Village, and Momence, IL. Demotte, a mere 10-minute drive from Roselawn, is a vibrant town of approximately 7,500 residents. Demotte hosts an esteemed Christian school spanning from preschool to 12th grade. The thriving housing market, diverse array of businesses and restaurants, and frequent community events make Demotte a welcoming and lively neighbor. While Roselawn offers peaceful rural living, larger cities like Crown Point and Merrillville are just a 20-minute drive away. These cities mark the beginning of Chicago’s suburbs, providing families with access to a broader range of amenities and activities. Chicago itself, with its cultural attractions, is just over an hour away. Lafayette, a city with a rich history, is a short 45-minute drive to the south. Families can also plan day trips to Indianapolis, an hour and 45 minutes away, offering a diverse array of family-friendly attractions. In Roselawn, families can experience the blend of rural serenity and urban convenience, fostering a sense of community beyond town borders. All this and more makes Roselawn an ideal home for those seeking a balanced and enriching life.