SCBC, The Church
Scarborough Chinese Baptist Church (SCBC) is a trilingual (English, Cantonese and Mandarin) multigenerational church with about 1,800 members. We are strategically located in Scarborough, Greater Toronto Area, which is one of the most dynamic and multicultural areas in North America. We strive to serve the local community and beyond seeking to be a blessing to all peoples.
The Mandarin Ministry Charge Pastor will be responsible for the overall direction, development and coordination of the Mandarin ministry. He/she will lead and shepherd the 150+ members in our Mandarin-speaking congregation. The Mandarin Ministry Charge Pastor will work in collaboration with the Mandarin pastoral staff, deacons and lay leaders in a team approach to holistically minister and support the discipleship of the congregation.
- Together with the Senior Pastor, provide overall direction, leadership and coordination of ministry within the Mandarin-speaking congregation.
- Mentor and supervise the pastoral staff serving in the Mandarin Ministry. Foster team building and personal development by example and through provision of training, inspiration and motivation to ensure staff members are maturing in their faith, growing in their relationship with each other and upgrading their skills.
- Oversee the Worship ministry:
- Preach regularly in the Sunday Worship Service.
- Coordinate pulpit ministry and arrange for speakers (in-house or outside guests).
- Coordinate ordinances and special services (e.g. Holy Communion, Baptism, Good Friday, Easter, Christmas, child dedications, weddings, funerals).
- Oversee all aspects of worship in developing rich worship experiences.
- Oversee the prayer and devotional ministries.
- Oversee the Nurture ministry:
- Engage in regular biblical teaching, workshops and seminars (e.g. Sunday school).
- Collaborate with the other Mandarin Ministry Pastors and Deacons to encourage, mentor, equip and develop the spiritual gifts of our leadership team.
- In partnership with the Mandarin Ministry Pastors and Deacons, develop and acquire resources for Christian education and discipleship; be involved in the discipleship, mentoring, and the spiritual formation of members; challenge and empower the congregation to exercise their God-given abilities and spiritual gifts in the work of the Kingdom.
- Oversee the Body Life and Care ministry:
- In partnership with the Body Life and Care Pastor, oversee the development of congregational life of the community through fellowship groups and small groups.
- Engage in systematic pastoral care including visitation, friendship building and other means of connection.
- Development and engagement of “special” care including pastoral counseling for pre-marital, marital and personal issues when necessary.
- In partnership with the Mandarin Pastors and Deacons, develop and acquire resources to support families and members to grow through various life stages.
- Oversee the Outreach ministry:
- In partnership with the Mandarin Pastors and Deacons and the Outreach Pastor: motivate and equip the congregation to be involved in evangelism; design innovative and creative ways to reach out to the local community; engage the congregation in discerning opportunities for mission and social concern locally and globally.
- General Pastoral and Administrative duties:
- Coordinate the planning of the Mandarin-speaking congregation programming with the other congregations through the Senior Pastor and/or the General Staff Meeting.
- Schedule and lead staff meetings with the Mandarin Ministry pastors.
- Oversee and delegate other administrative duties pertaining to the Mandarin-speaking congregation.
- Support the team of pastors of SCBC by sharing leadership responsibilities for ministry development and together, assist the Senior Pastor to set mid and long term directions for SCBC.
- Participate in church-wide activities; lead when assigned.
- Participate in denominational and trans-denominational events whenever possible – Canadian Baptists of Ontario and Quebec (CBOQ) Assembly, Toronto Area Association of Baptist Churches, and Toronto Chinese Evangelical Ministerial Fellowship.
- Attend or conduct seminars and conferences when invited.
- Act as an active liaison between the Mandarin and other congregations of SCBC, integrating to the overall SCBC ministries.
Capabilities and Characteristics
- A spiritually mature Christian with clear visioning for the Mandarin ministry and a strong commitment to God’s mission for the local church.
- A shepherd’s heart and gifted in preaching and teaching.
- Strong leadership skills for leading the Mandarin ministry teams to successfully achieve their objectives.
- Strong planning and organizational skills for developing various programs and events.
- Good understanding of the challenges and opportunities in a digital world.
- Strong team player to work well and engage with the SCBC pastoral and ministry leadership teams towards common objectives.
- Relational, with good interpersonal skills in team building of volunteers and equipping of leaders.
- Understanding and upholding the SCBC core values and Statement of Faith.
- A Master Degree of Divinity (M Div.) or equivalent level of theological education at an Association of Theological Schools (ATS) accredited institution.
- Minimum 5 to 7 years of church pastoral experience in a Mandarin congregation; preferably 3 to 5 years of lead pastor experience in a Mandarin congregation.
- Fluent in Mandarin (written and orally) and able to communicate in English (written and orally). Spoken Cantonese is an asset but not a must.
How To Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume detailing how you meet the job requirements as soon as possible to: [email protected] or by mail to:
Search Committee for Mandarin Ministry Charge Pastor
Please quote “Mandarin Ministry Charge Pastor” in the subject line of your correspondence.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
SCBC is committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes and work environments. If contacted by a Pastoral Search Committee member in relation to an employment opportunity, please make your accommodation request, if necessary, at that time. We will take accommodation measures to provide you with a barrier-free selection process. All accommodation requests will be treated confidentially.