The Calvary Baptist Church of New Haven (CBCNH) is a predominantly Chinese/Asian-American congregation, affiliated with the American Baptist Churches USA. We are made up of Chinese and English speakers, and altogether we are a loving and vibrant community of worship, where, indeed, our greatest priority is to know Christ and to make him known. Located right next to Yale, many of our parents are faculty members of the university, but we also serve families from neighboring towns with diverse backgrounds.
We are seeking a (part-time or full-time) youth pastor to oversee and to shepherd our spectacular youth (grades 6-12), which in total is about 20-25 students. The youth pastor will work with pastoral staff, as well as other lay-leaders of the English ministry, to promote a life of intergenerational worship and communal flourishing. In terms of the youth ministry itself, the youth pastor will aim to foster loving-community among the students; train robust and committed disciples; cultivate student leaders by recognizing their gifts and talents; and incorporate them into the life of our church by way of service, worship, and fellowship. In light of our context, as noted above, the youth pastor should have some familiarity with, as well as a sensitivity for, the minority/immigrant experience.
The primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Friday Night – Lead and organize effective youth programs for weekly Friday night gatherings.
- Sunday School – Teach engaging courses for Sunday school(s) that promote a greater understanding of Christ and a love for his word.
- Counseling – Provide one-on-one counseling and spiritual direction for students.
- Discipleship – Raise up student-leaders for ecclesial service; disciple students for effective Christian witness.
- Prayer – Daily intercede on behalf of students, parents, and the church.
- Preaching – Preach for Sunday service once a month (preferred but not required).
- Youth Workers – Recruit and train volunteer youth workers, by forming a leadership team of mutual trust and affection.
- Parent Support – Walk alongside parents in their unique challenges of raising and relating to their students; help them better discern their calling and responsibility as Christian parents.
- Retreats – Develop retreat programs throughout the school year that enables students to rest, fellowship, and form a deeper connection with Christ.
- Communication – Inform students and parents of ongoing activities; provide parents (and church leaders) any pertinent updates, such as ministry plans and strategies, that also invites their partnership and support.
- Budget – Assist in the development and oversight of the youth ministry’s budget; when applicable, manage students’ fees in a responsible/timely manner.
- Church Leadership – Regularly participate in board meetings, and assist in the evaluation and development of the church as a whole.
- Theological Culture – Foster a culture of theological awareness (i.e. of what God is doing in Christ through the community he has formed for himself), by helping students embody Christ in all their forms of life together through faith, love, and mutual service.
Experiences, Expectations and Qualifications:
- Some form of prior youth ministry experience (not required but preferred).
- Models good leadership skills (for oneself and others) via spiritual maturity, self-awareness, humility, integrity, courage, and creativity.
- Cherishes personal growth and spiritual development through prayer, scripture devotion, and continual learning.
- Proactive communication habits; excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Passion for Christ and his church; able to work well with young students and to thrive within a diverse, multicultural environment.
- Genuine calling and long-term commitment to serve Calvary’s youth.
- Bachelor’s degree is required; an MDiv (or its equivalent) is preferred.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Depending on candidate’s experience and training, Calvary is prepared to offer fair yet competitive compensation.
- Relocation package is available.
- Housing, healthcare coverage (for you and your dependents), yearly stipend for continued education.
- For suitable candidates without a seminary degree, we encourage the pursuit of further education and are prepared to provide major support for tuition.
How To Apply
Please send all application materials and/or inquiries to [email protected]. A complete application will include the candidate’s resumé, cover letter, list of three references, and if available a sermon sample (in the form of either a written manuscript or online recording).