First Congregational Church (Otsego, MI) Pastor
The First Congregational Church of Otsego, FCC, was established in 1837 with members from both Otsego and a neighboring city. In a few years Otsego members moved to a small church on the corner of Franklin and Farmer streets where it remained until 1989 when a new church was built one block south, where it remains today. Otsego is a small community located in southwest Michigan. We have a rich history in the paper making industry; currently home to a substantial US Gypsum paper making plant.
FCC has been a major contributor to the religious community for over 186 years. Currently most members are 60+ years of age. We have 63 active members, 5 shut- in members, and 43 members on the inactive list. We also have a good amount who attend but are not yet members.
Financially FCC is very stable. The operating budget for 2023-24 is $178,200. The church has no debt. FCC also owns 2 rental properties adjacent to the property. Both are currently rented.
FCC acknowledges Jesus Christ as its head. In order to do His bidding FCC is governed by the Leadership Council which consists of 3 Elders, 3 Deacons and the Pastor. Under their leadership FCC is vested in its members who exercise the right of control in all its affairs. In addition, FCC also has a Personnel Committee, a Mission’s Team, a Worship Team, a Praise Team and a Prayer Team. A Budget committee is activated each year prior to the development of a new yearly budget.
● Commitment to living a balanced life, seeking to live a life consistent with the “above reproach” requirements of an elder as set forth in I Timothy 3:1-12 and Titus 1:5-9.
● Be the primary pastor for Sunday Worship services; should believe, live, and articulate the Scriptures in a culturally relevant, spiritually effective manner that engages the congregation.
● Hold beliefs that align with the church’s Statement of Faith.
● Leads the church in spiritual growth.
● Additional Responsibilities include: administering the sacraments of communion, performing baptismal/dedication ceremonies, wedding ceremonies and funerals, visiting church members in need (hospital, nursing home, hospice, etc.), counseling (premarital, couples, individuals, etc.), attend leadership meetings, and fulfill any other duties/roles that may arise as sole pastor of the church.
● Preferred: Licensed and/or ordained by a church or accredited body, pastoral experience, and a Bachelor’s degree in religious studies.
$60,000-$72,000 plus benefits depending on experience.
How To Apply
Please look over this job description and the church website. Along with your resume please answer these questions:
- Why do you believe that you might be a good fit as the Pastor at First Congregational?
- Describe your experiences in ministry and how you may be qualified to serve as the Pastor of First Congregational?
- In just a few sentences please give a summary of your theology and how that is in line with the doctrine of First Congregational and the 4 C’s (https://www.ccccusa.com/about-us/statement-of-faith/)?
Please send your resume, the answers to these questions and a link to at least one online sermon to [email protected].