Who We Are
Walnut Creek Presbyterian Church is a growing congregation in a suburb of San Francisco. Our campus is located in a rapidly urbanizing area filled with shopping, restaurants, and apartments. The population is multi-generational and multi-ethnic. Our church campus is at the intersection of two major highways and near major regional transit. This means that we are easily accessible to a wide geographic footprint. Our desire is to reach people for Christ, and to train and equip the next generation of church leaders.
Residents are full-time employees, employed for two years. The goal of residency is to give real pastoral experience to recent seminary graduates, while also providing mentoring, shadowing, and networking opportunities.
Resident Professional Development and Work
As full time staff, residents will attend existing staff, pastoral, and elder meetings. Residents will join the existing Table Talk group, our twice a month reading group. Residents will attend ECO National Gathering and the Made to Flourish Annual Residency Gathering. Residents will teach regularly at our mid-week service.
Other duties will be based on current ministry needs and the gifting of the resident.
Resident Personal Support
Residents will be paired with two sponsor families from WCPC who assist the resident through the transition onto staff.
Residents will receive coaching sessions with a personal financial coach.
Resident Pastoral Development Network
Each resident will shadow three Bay Area Pastors, outside of WCPC, from different church sizes and contexts.
In addition, Residents will engage with Transforming the Bay for Christ, Stratum, and Reality SF for developmental and networking opportunities.
Salary and Benefits
Residents are full time employees of WCPC with access to health care and retirement benefits.
WCPC owns a nine unit apartment building. Residents have the opportunity, but not the obligation, to rent one of those apartments at a discounted rate.
Pastoral Residency Requirements
Expectation of adherence to the WCPC staff values
● Character- Exercises the fruit of the spirit
● Competency – Possesses skill and passion for the work
● Capacity – Has the integrity to work hard without under/over working
● Chemistry – Gets along with and genuinely loves being around the staff team
● Culture – Recognizes that creating and cultivating healthy staff culture is crucial
Desired Background and Skill Set
● Growing and deepening faith in Jesus Christ
● Completed Master of Divinity, or on pace to finish during Residency
● Giftedness in pastoral ministry
● Maintain a life of integrity that reflects a genuine faith in Christ
● Proactive & Intuitive
● Creative problem solver
● Self-starter able to work independently
● Team player
● Able to prioritize and multitask when needed.
● Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
● WCPC affirms the gifting and calling of men and women equally in ministry, so all are encouraged to apply for this position.
● Though we are a presbyterian church, residents do not need to be presbyterian, nor have a desire to be ordained as presbyterians.
How To Apply
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter to [email protected].