Christ Community Church (Zion, IL) – Senior Pastor
The Big Picture
Christ Community Church (375) (ccczion.org/home) is seeking a Senior Pastor who honors God and serves Christ and his church by personal example, the ministry of the Word, and leadership of the church, its staff, and its subsidiary organizations.
Located halfway between Chicago and Milwaukee, Christ Community Church is a hundred and twenty-seven year old independent evangelical congregation, the largest church in a town of 25,000 people. The purpose of Christ Community Church is to glorify God in obedience to the Great Commission and the Great Commandments.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITES The pastorate involves varied and demanding activities, some of which may be shared or assigned to others, some of which the Senior Pastor must do. This document emphasizes the latter, outlining essentials under two main heads found in the by-laws of Christ Community Church (section 4.2): (A) Spiritual Nurture and Leadership; and (B) Administration and Supervision; and a third, “Other” category.
(A) SPIRITUAL NURTURE AND LEADERSHIP
1. Lead the congregation, and particularly its leaders, in embracing a challenging vision for the church’s future.
2. Serve as “resident theologian,” praying, studying Scripture and theology, teaching, and (with other leaders) safeguarding the doctrinal integrity of the church.
3. Preach, lead worship, administer the gospel ordinances, and/or see that these major public functions of the church are fulfilled by others.
4. Promote balanced attention to the church’s broad and varied purposes by personal participation and leadership of others.
(B) ADMINISTRATION AND SUPERVISION
5. Lead the Board of Elders, providing spiritual focus, mutual accountability, and a worthy agenda.
6. Overseethe church staff for implementing Board policy and directives, and for teamwork in advancing the church’s purpose and vision.
7. As time permits, represent CCC in our community.
8. Make personal and vocational growth an ongoing priority.
ACCOUNTABLE TO the Board of Elders.
SUPERVISES directly, other members of the Pastoral staff and the Office Manager; indirectly, other paid employees, and volunteer leaders as deemed appropriate by the Board.
QUALIFICATIONS The candidate must possess the biblical qualifications for a pastor/elder/overseer. As outlined in 1 Timothy 3:1-7; Titus 1:6-9; 1 Peter 5:1-4. A background check and an examination of references should confirm these qualifications.
Excerpt from the by-laws of Christ Community Church:
4.1 Senior Pastor Qualifications – “The Senior Pastor shall have recognized gifts and abilities to preach and teach the Word of God with spiritual conviction. The Senior Pastor must be a lover of people who relates well to others and has effective interpersonal relationships. He shall also be an able administrative leader who directs and oversee the work of others effectively.”
4.2.1 Spiritual Nurture and Leadership – “In 1 Peter 5 the pastor is compared to a shepherd with a flock of sheep. As the spiritual undershepherd (Christ himself being the Chief Shepherd) he is responsible for the spiritual leading, feeding, protecting, and teaching of the flock. The Senior Pastor shall fulfill his responsibilities through preaching, teaching, praying, visiting, counseling, and discipling. “
4.2.2 Administration and Supervision – “The administrative leadership of the Senior Pastor shall include supervision of the church office staff, other pastoral staff, and all other paid and volunteer staff of the church through whatever organizational arrangement he and the Elder Board shall agree upon. As a member of the Elder Board, the Senior Pastor shall minister in close cooperation with the Board, other elected leaders, and paid and volunteer staff. By virtue of his office, he shall be welcome at all meetings of committees or other organizational entities of the church.”
OTHER QUALIFICATIONS The candidate must also meet the following qualifications:
1. Education – the candidate must have an MDiv (Master of Divinity) degree from an accredited seminary. A DMin (Doctor of Ministry) in preaching or pastoral ministry is desired.
2. Ordination – the candidate must be ordained to the gospel ministry from a solid Bible-believing church or willing to pursue ordination.
3. Doctrine – the candidate should embrace the doctrinal statement of Christ Community Church.
4. Gender – in harmony with our position on complementarity, the candidate must be a male.
5. Experience – the candidate must have at least 5 years of prior experience in the gospel ministry. There must be evidence of leadership skills in the supervision of staff and elders.
90,000 to 105,000+ benefits
How To Apply
Please review this job description and the church website. Along with your resume please answer these questions:
Why do you believe that you might be a good fit as the Senior Pastor for Christ Community Church?
Describe your experiences in ministry and how you may be qualified to serve as the Senior Pastor at Christ Community Church?
In just a few sentences please give a summary of your theology and how that is in line with the doctrine of Christ Community Church?
Please send your resume, the answers to these questions and a link to at least one online sermon to [email protected]