Student Ministries Director
Weekly Attendance: 730
Location: Cypress, TX
The Role: Student Ministries Director
Meet St. John Lutheran Church:
St. John is proud of our heritage as a 170-year-old church in a legacy denomination. Having successfully negotiated the change to a modern, vibrant church that is growing, St. John today is impacting our community for Christ every day. St. John’s campus contains six buildings, the newest being the 12-year-old, 1000-seat Worship Center. St. John’s staff has grown to nine ministry professionals, plus 17 preschool teachers, and over 50 administrative and support staff. The church continues to add staff and is excited about the outward-facing, community-oriented, and mission-driven work that God has given us!
St. John Lutheran Building: About the Student Ministries Director:
The Student Ministries Director (SMD) will lead the development, coordination and execution of an effective and comprehensive ministry to students and young adults consistent with the mission of St. John to connect our neighbors to true riches in Jesus.
The Student Ministries Director’s Responsibilities Include:
- Develop and implement meaningful, creative, engaging, and high-quality programs to increase participation, make memories, and deepen relationships for:
- Middle School students (5th-8th grades).
- High school students (9th-12th grades).
- Young adults (high school graduates through beginning of parenthood).
- Annual youth mission trip (or trip to National Youth Gathering).
- Concentrate on the assimilation of St. John Confirmation students into middle school programs, the transition of Confirmands into high-school programs, and equipping students to invite non-churched friends to participate in St. John youth programs.
- Recruit, train, supervise, encourage, and evaluate volunteers for teaching, support, and leadership roles in student ministry programs.
- Select and prepare curriculum, teaching resources, media, and supplies.
- Lead retreats, lock-ins, and other events that integrate spiritual growth with fun and fellowship.
- Counsel students and parents who need guidance.
- Evangelize by encouraging students to invite friends to events.
- Be available at predictable and posted hours during the week for teenagers and other members of the congregation.
- Involve youth members in worship and other congregation activities.
- Support the Confirmation program by fulfilling roles including but not limited to teaching, fellowship events, and a general positive presence.
- The SMD will communicate effectively and quickly with all pastors when the SMD believes there is a student or a student’s family that needs pastoral care – unless the confidentiality policy forbids it.
- Develop fundraising opportunities for students going on the annual mission (or NYG) trip that tap primarily external sources of funds.
- Attend weekly staff meetings. Failure to attend will be counted as a vacation or sick day.
- Keep background checks and other safety policies and procedures accurate and up to date.
- Participate in an annual Self-Assessment and Performance Review.
- Prepare an annual budget request.
St. John Lutheran Church Sanctuary: What You Bring:
The following describes many of the characteristics of the ideal candidate for the Student Ministries Director:
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Christian Education or related ministry field, preferred.
- Experience working in a large church.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Working knowledge of Microsoft, and Google platforms and church management systems, preferred.
- Ability to meet physical demands (reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions).
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds.
- Ability to run, jump, and other light physical and athletic tasks while participating in low-impact sports and games.
- Willing to become a member of St. John Cypress and worship regularly.
Personal Characteristics & Qualifications
- Committed follower of Jesus Christ.
- Passionate about bringing people up alongside them in ministry.
- Maturity and ability to relate to parents well.
St. John Lutheran Youth Room What it’s Like to Live in Cypress, TX:
Cypress, TX is a great place to live and is right outside of Houston. Cypress is known as a great family area with exceptional schools and an environment that offers its residents a high quality of life. With great shopping and restaurants, and being a short drive from downtown Houston, Cypress is buzzing with activity.
Residents can visit Houston to see the zoo, aquarium, more shopping, as well as a theater district. It’s home to the Houston Astros, Rockets, and Texans, so sporting events for entertainment are endless.
The Cypress area allows people to experience a great community with direct access to big-city amenities. Whether it’s going for a walk in the park or a family day downtown, there’s no shortage of things to do.