Teaching and Experience Pastor
Damascus Road Community Church
Weekly Attendance: 1300
Location: Frederick, MD
The Role: Teaching and Experience Pastor
DRCC Auditorium Meet Damascus Road Community Church:
Damascus Road Community Church began as a young adult Bible study in a basement in the 90’s for those who were burned, bored and bypassed by traditional church. From that small beginning has emerged a vibrant, mission-driven community of faith with over 1,000 people meeting weekly and serving together to make a Kingdom difference in the lives of people and in the community around them. DRCC is a place where “all are welcome, nobody is perfect, and anything is possible!”
Damascus Road is in the midst of an exciting and unprecedented stretch. God has moved in powerful and somewhat unexpected ways in 2023. Over 115 baptisms have taken place in 2023, which is an all-time record! Hundreds are serving in the local community and meeting regularly in small groups.
Damascus Road’s Senior Pastor unexpectedly stepped back in 2023 and they’ve been operating in a co-leadership model under the oversight of the Elders. After much prayer, discussion and research, they will be instituting a multi-leader, senior leadership model, sharing the load and maximizing the team’s individual giftedness. The team strongly believes that shared leadership honors God.
This Teaching Pastor & Experience role is critical to rounding out the leadership team and will join the shared teaching team. Damascus Road has a long history of shared teaching, believing that the church benefits hearing from a diversity of voices.
About the Teaching and Experience Pastor:
The Teaching and Experience Pastor will lead and serve as part of the DRCC Teaching Team, delivering relevant and engaging biblical messages that are centered on the Gospel. The ideal candidate will be able to help Damascus Road reach the next generation in a post-Christian environment. They will also be responsible for empowering gifted teams to deliver high-quality weekend services and events, both in-person and online. Additionally, they will be responsible for building and empowering teams and leaders, and serving as the primary liaison between worship, tech, and teaching teams with the rest of the staff and congregation.
DRCC Baptisms The Teaching and Experience Pastor’s Responsibilities Include:
- Oversee and partner with the worship planning and teaching teams to develop engaging and relevant weekend service experiences in-person and online.
- Embody and champion “Living the Five”, the Damascus Road adult discipleship pathway, including small group community life.
- Lead the preaching calendar in a collaborative process with the shared teaching team.
- Assist with advancing digital engagement through weekend services and across ministries.
- Oversee teams responsible for events/productions that attract the community to campus, including key Easter and Christmas productions.
- Oversee the Worship Director, Tech Director and Weekend Support Admin; collaborate with Welcome, Connection and Communications teams as appropriate.
- Participate as a regular part of the teaching team (beginning at 1x per month).
- Be on rotation for doing announcements/ giving moments on a monthly basis.
- Assist Congregational Care as needed in providing care, shepherding, and ministry to members and attenders of our adult congregation.
- Oversee additional ministries that may have weekend service integration (ASL, etc.).
- Serve on the Pastoral Leadership Council (PLC).
- Attend Elder Board meetings as appropriate.
- Conduct pastoral responsibilities such as weddings, funerals, etc. as needed.
DRCC Baptisms What You Bring:
The following describes many of the characteristics of the ideal candidate for the Teaching and Experience Pastor:
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in biblical studies or equivalent is required. M.Div. or Graduate degree strongly preferred.
- Minimum five (5) years’ church staff experience including supervision of staff.
- Proven experience with preaching and teaching in a church context.
- Can demonstrate accomplishment of organization-wide goals.
- Can demonstrate history of shared leadership and staff development.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Demonstrated ability to manage, motivate, and develop staff—and accurately evaluate their performance.
- Excellent communication skills—verbal and written (including mature preaching gift).
- Computer proficiency and web-based applications required. Experience with Windows and Microsoft Office 360 is a plus.
- Proficiency in Planning Center Online is a plus.
- Ability to meet deadlines and manage multiple assignments concurrently.
- Strategic and systems thinker; adept in decision making and executing strategy with an eye to organizational vision; excellent project management skills.
- Strong conflict management skills.
- Demonstrated high emotional intelligence.
- Relates well to those of all ages and levels of spiritual maturity.
- Demonstrated ability to create and sustain a participative and collaborative team-oriented culture.
- Strong interpersonal skills and experience in working with people of all ages in a team setting.
Personal Characteristics & Qualifications
- Transforming personal relationship with and a mature commitment to Jesus Christ evidenced by daily spending time with Him and His Word and observable fruit of the spirit.
- Embraces DRCC’s Statement of Faith, Staff Covenant, and position papers.
- Energetic, proactive, goal-oriented, patient, kind, encouraging, and positive.
- Ability to be flexible and adapt quickly to unexpected circumstances.
- Exercises good judgment, discretion, sensitivity, and especially confidentiality.
- Teachable, humble and knows how and when to show empathy.
- Ability to prioritize and problem-solve in a wide variety of situations.
- Demonstrates history of using principles in Matthew 18 to deal with conflict.
- An effective listener who takes constructive feedback well.
- An enthusiastic servant mindset.
What it’s Like to Live in Frederick, MD:
Frederick is a rapidly growing area with over fifteen thousand new homes planned within a fifteen mile radius. The growth is drawing many young, diverse families to the area. The DRCC congregation is generationally and socio-economically diverse. The mix ranges from government contractors, to small business owners, to school teachers, to police officers, to the recovery community.
The rolling hills, farms and mountains are visibly present while a vibrant urban life can be found within 10 miles from DRCC. You can hike the Appalachian, kayak down the river, watch a Frederick Keys baseball game or enjoy the boutique shops and restaurants in downtown Frederick. Frederick has been described as “where hip meets historic” and is regularly ranked as a top place to live in the country by Livability.
DRCC is centrally located within an hour from Washington DC, Annapolis, Baltimore and Gettysburg. Enjoy discovering the rich national history that has taken place here. Maryland ranks among America’s top states for top-quality education. The school districts surrounding DRCC are some of the best.